We function through Science Clubs, Societies, and Chapters of BSS created in different localities and educational institutions. They take up a variety of activities to pursue the objectives of the organization. Some of these are:
- Popularization of astronomy and counterposing it against beliefs in astrology (we organized large-scale programmes on the occasion of the Total Solar Eclipse of 1995, 1999, and 2009, the arrival of the Comet Hale-Bopp 1997, Leonid Meteor Shower 1998, Transit of Venus 2004, etc.);
- Detection and alleviation of arsenic pollution of drinking water in a vast area of West Bengal;
- Comprehensive science education through experiments at the school level;
- Anti-superstition campaigns;
- Cultivation of the life and struggle of great scientists through the observation of the Einstein Year (2005), the Darwin Years (2007-2009), the International Year of Astronomy (2009), etc.
- Relief works for people affected by natural calamities like flood, earthquake, super-cyclone, tsunami etc.;
- Scientific agriculture; etc.